Job Description: Service Desk Technician
DEPARTMENT: Information Systems (IS)
JOB SUMMARY: Provides computer support for all computer hardware and software for all associates/physicians at Citizens Medical Center, Prairie Senior Living Complex, Family Center for Health Care and other entities outside the organization who require access to CMCI resources.
AGES OF PATIENTS SERVED: Not applicable
I 50% Maintains all end-user equipment on the Local Area Network (LAN) including desktop computers, tablets, laptops, cabling and software. Responsible for all hardware inventory.
II 20% Provides assistance to all employees/physicians utilizing the
EHR software. Maintains a solid level of understanding with all operating platforms
III 10% Assists with network and EHR security access on all new and existing users. Performs initial security orientation for all new hires.
IV 10% Responsible for all Mobile Device Management setup and configuration
- 5% Maintains documentation, completes knowledge base articles and builds training documents when needed
VI 5% Attends meetings, In-services and seminars as required and as
requested. Completes other duties as assigned.
- Possesses a passion for IT and providing exceptional customer service.
- Self-starter who takes initiative, is open minded and a team player.
- Maintains a positive attitude with good energy.
- Creates a positive, supportive working atmosphere.
- Displays integrity and accountability.
- Ability to communicate well both written and orally
- Ability to manage time effectively
- Accepts and responds to constructive criticism and suggestions and strives for self-improvement
- Adheres to organization policies and procedures.
- Arrives at work on time and when scheduled.
- Demonstrates flexibility, initiative and ingenuity in performing job tasks.
- Demonstrates professional conduct and maintains professional appearance.
- Demonstrates behavior that reflects the image of the institution.
- Must have at least 1-3 years experience in a help desk environment.
- Solid knowledge of Windows 7
- Background in working with workstations in a networked environment
- Strong troubleshooting and problem resolution skills
- Understanding and knowledge of common software platforms such as MS Office
- Experience with Antivirus and Antispyware tools
- Working knowledge of basic networking principles including routers, firewalls, and switches
- Must have experience with a domain environment on the desktop level
- Must possess desire and ability to learn CMCI’s electronic health record software platforms
- Knowledge of network cabling configuration helpful.
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s Degree in a technology field is preferred
- Must have obtained one or more of the following certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Windows 7, Windows 8 (Willing to work around this depending on level of overall experience and a desire to obtain a certification. When hiring, candidates with formal training will have an advantage over those that do not.)
Required certification/registration: See Education
- Requires sitting approximately 50% of the time at a desk while answering the telephone, placing phone calls and working on various service desk tickets.
- Requires frequent walking from department to department.
- Requires repetitive motion of the hand and wrist approximately 50% of the time when working on PC’s, servers, terminals, printers, etc.
- Requires standing approximately 10% of the time.
- Normal hearing and vision with/without assistance.
- Must have reliable transportation in order to work on computer equipment at other facilities and to respond when on call.
- Works holidays and weekends as necessary. Rotates on-call with the other Information Systems personnel. Responds within 30 minutes at hospital/clinic/nursing home when on call.
- This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented.
Job Level: Level 3: Medium work. Exerting 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and /or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly. Requires walking or standing to a significant degree; or requires sitting most of the time but entails pushing and/or pulling of arm or leg controls.
Typical Working Conditions: Subject to frequent interruptions. Limited exposure to the risk of blood borne disease. May be exposed to communicable disease. Able to work without constant supervision in the midst of distractions. Moderate to high stress. Must be able to work in small, constrictive areas. Ability to work with the public in ordinary and emergency situations. This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented.
Responsible to: Information Systems Manager
Responsible for: None.
Interrelationships: Works closely with all employees and/or physicians of Citizens Medical Center, Prairie Senior Living Complex, Family Center for Health Care and remote sites. Occasional contact with the public, all requiring tact, patience, understanding and the ability to communicate effectively. (See Personal Qualities Section)
RESPONSIBILITIES: A listing of major components, assignments or projects.
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE: A statement of measurable, objective targets to be achieved within each responsibility.
- Maintains all end-user equipment on the Local Area Network (LAN) including desktop computers, tablets, laptops, cabling and software. Responsible for all hardware inventory.
- Installs new devices – i.e. PC’s, printer, network equipment, peripherals, etc. as needed.
- Responsible for maintaining the desktop imaging tool and process
- Setup new computers and repairs computers already in use.
- With the assistance of Plant Operations personnel, runs any new CAT5 network lines
- Loads all software needed onto new devices and existing devices.
- Assists employees with utilizing and troubleshooting all software on the network
- Contacts Hardware/Software Vendors for assistance when needed.
- Assists employees/physicians of Citizens Medical Center, Prairie Senior Living Complex, Family Center for Health Care and remote sites with troubleshooting technical problems.
- Reports any problems associated with the equipment to the IS Manager and other appropriate personnel.
- Responsible for maintaining an accurate inventory of our network and documenting any changes
- Provides assistance to all associates/physicians utilizing the EHR software. Maintains a solid level of understanding with all operating platforms
- Contacts EHR support personnel for assistance when needed.
- Performs any necessary computer work as requested and serves as a computer contact for EHR support.
- Provides training to employees as required.
- Assists employees/physicians with accessing databases in order to obtain required information or statistics.
- Assists with network and EHR security access on all new and existing users. Performs initial security orientation for all new hires.
- Creates new user accounts and applies appropriate security access
- Schedules and conducts one-on-one orientation meetings with new hires to discuss security, provide passwords and review any additional Information Technology aspects.
- Responsible for all Mobile Device Management setup and configuration
- Manages the MDM environment, licensing and installations
- Runs regular audits of all mobile devices and documents findings
- Researches new MDM technologies and make recommendations on future tools
- Maintains documentation, completes knowledge base articles and builds training documents when needed
- Creates documentation on processes, tools, software installation and common technical issues
- Builds end-user training documentation when needed
- Attends Meetings, In-services and Seminars as required and as requested. Completes other duties as assigned.