Kansas State Fair
2000 N. Poplar
Hutchinson, KS. 67502
Phone Number :(620) 669-3600
Fax Number (620) 669-3640
Position Title: Plumber Senior
Location of Position: Kansas State Fair
Job Description: Senior Plumber
Collaborates with Supervisors on upgrading the plumbing and HVAC systems, preventive maintenance and repair of existing plumbing systems, HVAC system, fitting, filters, and accessories in buildings on the grounds.
1. Inspects main water lines, main sewer lines, as well as main storm sewer systems that are connected to the City of Hutchinson systems, to ensure that they are clean and free from debris and allows water to flow freely. Inspects main water line valves quarterly by shutting and opening them to ensure proper operation. Collaborates with the City Sanitation Department to schedule an annual flushing lines and systems, and advises Supervisors of any problems incurred and makes repairs as directed.
2. Maintains and install HVAC unites throughout the State Fairgrounds. These unites include all rooftop heating and cooling units, all unit heaters, and window A/C units. Maintain all exhaust fans on all buildings. Change filters on all unites when needed, check at least twice a year. Wash condense and evaporator coils when needed and check blower assemblies each year. Check and keep all HVAC service equipment in proper operating condition.
3. Maintains and installs water, low pressure steam, and gas systems; plumbing fixtures; and other specialized equipment on the Kansas State Fairgrounds. Services all central and window air conditioning systems and various types of furnaces.
4. Bends, cuts, reams, and threads pipes, makes lead joints, sweats fittings on copper pipe, taps water and gas mains, and greases and packs expansions joints on stream lines to maintain existing systems.
5. Services piping systems to ensure pipes, drains and traps remain clog free and there are not leaks in pipes. Repairs and replaces as needed, water service lines, sewer lines, and storm drain lines.
6. Repairs condensate and circulating pumps, sump pumps, steam traps, air control and pressure regulating valves, and pneumatic temperature controls, replaces thermocouples, safety valves and boiler tubes to maintain and improve existing systems.
7. Winterizes buildings not used during the winter by draining down all building water systems.
8. Checks all fire hydrants on a quarterly basis, and documents condition of each fire hydrant by submitting a written report to supervisors. Collaborates with the City of Hutchinson Fire Department to ensure that all fire hydrants are in top condition.
9. Examines fire extinguishers throughout the State Fairgrounds to ensure they are operable and in assigned locations. Arranges for a Fire Extinguisher Contractor to service extinguishes on a periodic basis, to ensure that they meet fire codes.
Collaborates with the Physical Plant Manager and the Plumbing Contractor who has the State Fair contract to ensure the plumbing systems on the State Fairgrounds are prepared for the annual State Fair.
1. Inspects all systems on the fairgrounds to ensure facilities are in the best condition possible, and reviews status with supervisors.
2. Maintains a log to document work requested, scheduled, and when completed to ensure proper accounting and that payment is for work completed.
3. Reviews work requests from contractor and department heads with the Physical Plant Manager and the Plumbing Contractor, to ensure that work requested is within guidelines established.
4. Schedules corrective actions and preventive maintenance requirements for the Plumbing Contractor to perform on buildings and grounds.
5. Recommends to supervisors, solutions to problems that surface during inspection of systems. Follow up recommendations with supervisors to ensure that corrections are accomplished as recommended and required. Advises the Physical Plant Manager of long term needs to allow for budgeting.
Maintains a physical inventory of the Plumbing and HVAC Division, which requires ordering supplies needed through State Contracts and the purchasing system of the Kansas State Fair. Pleases supplies on the Plumbing and HVAC inventory when received and also places the supplies in stock. Checks items off the Plumbing and HVAC Inventory when used and charges them to the proper building project. Maintains a perpetual inventory of plumbing and HVAC supplies and review inventory prior to the Fair, with the Physical Plant Manager to ensure there are plenty of supplies on hand for the Fair.
Manages inmate laborers, which includes:
1. Directing and collaborating with inmate laborers on daily projects.
2. Teaching and training individuals in the proper operation of tools and construction procedures
3. Checking work progress to ensure that work is being completed as instructed.
4. Instructing on the proper care and preventive maintenance on all equipment assigned to use and checking to see if it was done properly.
Performs other work as assigned or required, which includes:
1. Performing preventive maintenance on al tools and equipment used.
2. Helping with required fair setup and tear down in buildings and on the grounds, as assigned by Supervisors.
3. Completing work assignments as directed by Supervisors regarding setup and tear down of rentals during Off-Season.
4. Works as a team member to complete projects assigned, or helps other team members as needed, or as assigned.
Around the $16.16 hr.
This is a state position, it will have all the state benefits like KEPERS retirement, paid sick and vacationleave etc.