You will develop necessary job skills and related technical information in an on-the-job atmosphere similar to an actual engineering firm, training on the same drafting boards, computers, cutting-edge technology, and software that industry uses. Mathematical applications are used throughout the various subjects and applied in actual job situations, in sharp contrast to the theoretical approach used in many academic post-secondary institutions.
You can be successful in Engineering and Drafting Technology whether you have previous drafting experience (high school or college) or no prior drafting background. Our faculty share many years of industry experience and work hard to help each student succeed in the field.
Opportunities for Engineering Technology students to have internships are available.
In a student’s final semester, he or she has the option to complete a special project on campus or participate in Occupational Work Experience outside of the Northwest Tech campus. During Occupational Work Experience students can spend up to eight weeks working full time for an employer while earning college credit.
- Prepare Plans in accordance with department standards.
- Perform creative and accurate layout and design of projects.
- Produce technical drawings to program standards in CAD.
- As a team member, contribute to the project by completing and organizing assigned tasks.
- Perform surveys using level and Total Station.
- Perform surveys using GPS equipment.
- As a team leader, manage people and resources to complete assigned projects.
- Design and draw a land development plat within specified guidelines.
- Perform civil land development calculations for plat.
- Perform calculations for complex traverse.
- Produce thorough calculation and method notes while calculating the traverse.
Engineering Technology Instructor
Phone: (785) 890-1542
Mr. Daniel Ordoñez, a past graduate of the program brings 6 years of industry experience to the classroom. While working at TranSystems he worked on Construction Inspection, Rail Design, Highway Design, Traffic, Field surveying, Bridge details and also worked at the capacity of Cad Support Manager. With 11 years of teaching experience, Mr. Ordoñez knows what it takes to be successful in the classroom and in industry. Mr. Ordoñez teaches the Drafting, Field Surveying and CAD curriculum for 1st and 2nd year students.
Engineering Technology Instructor
Phone: (785) 890-1578
Mr. Michael Zimmerman, a Goodland, KS native, brings 5 years of the engineering industry experience into the classroom. After graduating from Kansas State University with a Bachelors of Science in Mechanical Engineering Technology, he became a Design and Project Engineer for an international manufacturing company. In 2011, Zimmerman joined the Northwest Tech family as the related subjects instructor for the Engineering Technology department.
In 2012, Northwest Tech’s Engineering and Drafting Technology program had a 100% placement rate; meaning every graduate was employed once they graduated.
“Here at HNTB we have been hiring engineering technology students from Northwest Kansas Technical College from the very first class in 1966. We have hired countless graduates from this school. The students from this school have the necessary skills to become productive right away. They learn good work ethics, and are ready to enter the workforce. We have been very pleased with the quality of this school and look forward to hiring these graduates in the future.”
– Wayne Gregory, HNTB
Below is a list of items Northwest Tech’s Admissions Team will need prior to your acceptance into the Engineering Technology program.
- A Northwest Tech Application Completed and Submitted
- $25 Application Fee Paid
- High School or GED Transcript Submitted
- (If Applicable) College Transcript Submitted
- ACT or Compass Scores Submitted (Compass Testing can be scheduled on-site at the Northwest Tech campus)
Required items can be submitted in person at the Northwest Tech campus, via postal mail addressed to: Northwest Tech Admissions, 1209 Harrison, Goodland, KS, or through email communications with firstname.lastname@example.org.
Associate of Applied Science
(or Technical Certificate)
- F. Wayne Gregory
- Andy Pelster
- Kurt Johnston
- Scott Thyfault
- Roy Marken
- Mike Hurd
- Justin Spanier
- Andrew Markley
- Dustin Delgado
- Frank Mercurio
KLA Environmental Services
- Mike Grant
- Dave Harms