The Kansas Concealed Carry Handgun certification course is designed to prepare students to pass the written certification exam and target shooting qualification required to obtain a license.
Students receive a certificate of completion from the instructor to submit with the Concealed Carry Handgun application.
- The written examination is 25 multiple choice questions. Students must correctly answer a minimum of 17 questions to pass the written exam.
- The material will be covered in class and no outside studying is required.
Target Shooting Qualification:
- Students are required to place 17 of 25 shots to pass on a FBIQ target or equivalent. Distances are as follows: 5 shots at 3 yards, 10 shots at 7 yards and 10 shots at 10 yards.
- Handguns and ammunition are prohibited in the facility and the classroom. Handguns may be kept at home or in a vehicle with the gun unloaded and encased separately from any ammunition.
- In order to qualify for a concealed carry permit, students must meet all state requirements.
- For a full list of requirements, please visit the Attorney General’s website.
- Students must be 21 years old to obtain a permit and at least 20 to take the course given the one-year expiration date of the certificate.
- Kansas residents or active military members and their spouses are eligible.
- Successful completion of the course does not guarantee a license due to external factors such as past criminal history.
- Non-students are not allowed to attend the course except in extenuating circumstances. For special accommodations, please contact the instructor, Minh Huynh, at 785.899.4600.
To be announced.
$125 per student (Non-Refundable)
Additional Cost Considerations:
To obtain your permit, you will also incur the following charges:
$100: Attorney General’s Office Background Check
$32.50: Sheriff’s Office Fingerprinting
Students must apply for the concealed carry permit within one year of successful completing the course. If not, the student will be required to retake the course.
- Pass an approved Concealed Carry Handgun course and receive a certificate of completion
- File fingerprints at the sheriff’s office
- Submit application, certificate of completion and payment to the sheriff’s office for consideration
- Receive notice of decision within 60-90 days of application
- If approved, submit the “license approval notice” to a Department of Revenue driver’s license station to issue the CCH license
Concealed Carry Handgun Licenses are valid for four years and renewable. Full information is available from the Kansas Attorney General’s Office.
You may pay by submitting check or cash to the Northwest Tech billing office prior to the course. The course fee is non- refundable.
Fill out the enrollment form here.
Class is limited to 30 students. Reserve your spot today!
For further enrollment information, please contact Northwest Tech at 785.890.3641.
Handgun and Ammunition
- Students are encouraged to bring their own handgun and ammunition. Students may use any handgun, semi-automatic or revolver. Ammunition can be new from the manufacturer or reloaded.
- Students may share handguns to use for the course. If any student does not have access to a handgun, the instructor has a loaner handgun available at no charge. If any student does not have access to ammunition, the instructor has it available at the fee of $25 per 25 rounds.
- Please bring a Kansas Drivers License, Kansas Identification Card or Military Identification Card.
Eye and Eye Protection
- Students are encouraged to bring their own ear and eye protection. Protection is available to those who do not have any.
- The $125 course fee is due to Northwest Tech at the time of enrollment. The fees for background check and fingerprint charges are paid to other entities at the time of your application.
- Students are encouraged to bring bottled water for their convenience throughout the day and lunch due to the limited time available.
- All course materials and pens are provided by the instructor.